Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 19, 2008

She Moved Through The Fair


Saturday and Sunday bring the Queens County Fair to the Adriance Farm. I will be there early Saturday, enjoying the bounty of the county. I'll probably be looking for the lumberjacks balancing on those floating logs. I never realized we had lumberjacks in Queens until I found them at the Fair a few years ago. I believe they are an endangered species here.
There are certainly bigger County Fairs, but I can walk to this one from my home. It is so cool to have a farm just down the road. I know my eggs are fresh. There are ribbons awarded for baked goods, jams, preserves, jellies, floral arrangements, flowers and vegetables. My tiny teardrop tomatoes did not want to wait for the fair, but there's always next year to enter the competition. If I won a ribbon I think I would frame it. The prizes for livestock are for exotic fowl and rabbits. The farm has a cow, goats, chickens and a crazed peacock roaming the grounds. Canada geese stop by for occasional handouts and sympathy calls to their caged cousins.
There will be exhibits and vendors, one of my favorites is the pickle vendor: sour, half-sour, garlic and hot pepper spice. I'm salivating at the thought. I'll also be on the lookout for the Harmonica Band.

They are amazing, you just have to sing along. It's almost an out-of-body experience. The mean age of the musicians is about eighty-one.

There is a corn maze that is just a bit freaky. It's huge! You can wander after your hayride.
Maybe the farmhouse itself will be open for tours. It's a little taste of time travel. Spinning wheels, herbs drying on the rafters, spiced apple cider and the scent of long ago take you back a century or two. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
And so, I will move through the fair, too.











Sung by Lorenna McKinnett ~ ah! Looking for Harmonica Band pics

No comments: