Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Leaving a Trail of Bread Crumbs


For the Week of Aug 3rd, 2009 -- Romantic fantasies are fun, yet there's a chance that you could start to believe in them this weekend. The Moon in sensitive Pisces opens up your feelings but may shut down your brain. If you're going to follow your heart, protect yourself by leaving a trail of bread crumbs so you can find your way back home to reality.




If I'm relying on a trail of bread crumbs for protection my brain may have shut down already. It certainly didn't do Hansel and Gretel much good. Though, come to think of it, they did have a happy ending. Not so much for the witch, but karma and all...


Fantasies have their place in life. If you can't imagine something how can you manifest it? Living in a fantasy is a way of life for some. They become quite indignant if reality injects itself into their world.

Real life is fine for me. If I want fantasy I write my vampire tales, read a good book or watch a movie. I do have an active imagination. It comes in handy after working a day in the real world. Creating art or writing is a great outlet. Some say my outlook is a bit dark, but there is much humor in the dark areas of imagination too.

I've been fascinated by the supernatural since childhood. Being raised Roman Catholic instilled a belief in the supernatural, as all religions do, I guess. We have saints in heaven, sinners in hell, Satan lusting for our souls, angels watching over us, demons trying to possess us and many crosses, scapulars and rosaries for our protection against harm. How about the prayer we said right before going to bed? "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take. God bless....every possible relative and friend is included." Sweet, isn't it? There is a natural progression to curiosity about other supernatural phenomena.

I do enjoy creating my alternate worlds where time lines may run parallel with other worldly beings being the norm. Who doesn't have a soft spot for a zombie...at a distance?

My grandmother had a collection of books which contained myths and fairy tales. I devoured them when I stayed at her house. The first book I proudly got from the library at age six was Norse Mythology. Thanks Nana! I was blessed to be surrounded by book lovers and storytellers. It was and is a natural way of life for me and mine. My daughter is a voracious reader who still tells people I read The Hobbit to her at bedtime when she was knee high to a grasshopper. Children love ritual. It is a comfort for them to have the familiar routine ease them into sleep. We would read a story, make up a story, usually about adventures with her friends and sing songs. One summer night I was joined in a refrain of The Muffin Man by three adolescent boys outside in our community yard. They ran away laughing when I peeked out the window, but I think it brought back memories of their not so distant babyhood. We all remember being tucked into our bed. She looks forward to doing the same for her daughter.


So, I'll settle down for the evening. Writing a scene about a steampunkian vampire timekeeper explaining time travel to a shape shifter should be fun and fulfilling. Of course, I will be wearing my St. Theresa scapular which say "Whoever dies wearing this scapular shall not suffer the eternal fire~Our Lady's scapular promise." It's all about that ounce of prevention.



Cross~Oaxaca 2008~Josefina Aguilar~now in my home sweet home :)

No comments: