Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

And Hell Froze Over


After my cat Rascal died last week, I informed my dear family and friends

"If anyone brings another cat or kitten into this house, they will both be on the street.

Give me some time, then we'll see."

Going about my business yesterday, enjoying the glorious weather, I thought about Rascal.

"I miss my baby" I said aloud. Then I took my spiral notebook and sat on the lovely rose bench in my little garden. Vampires, secret passages and unlikely lovers danced across the pages. I'm coming down the home stretch of my book, trying several approaches to the grand finale.

My cell phone rang, my daughter's calling.

"Mom, don't be angry." Uh, oh...

"I found a kitten. She was stuck in a window well...there was broken glass...I climbed in and took her out...she was howling. Mom? Mom?"

"I'm still here...what are you saying?"

"I think I should take her home...don't be upset, Mom, please?"

Now, my brain is saying 'No way'. My mouth says "I don't think I want to deal with this right now."

"Mom, I'll handle it. I'll keep her in my room"

"Just for tonight."


They arrived a little while later. I could not even look at the little fur ball. They secluded themselves for their own preservation. Feeling totally wiped out, I hit the sack about 11:30.

Sometime after midnight there's a knock on the bedroom door.

"Mom? I'm turning the light on" Oh, goody.

"Just look at her, she's so soft." The sheet is over my head. It is way too bright.

"Very cute, very soft. Turn the light off, please. I need sleep..."

Off they march, into the darkness.


Well, Christine and the kitten visit the veterinarian, Dr. C. this time, she, the kitten, is a he, about six weeks old.

I spent some time after work hanging out with my daughter and Mr. X. Seems we have a new addition to the family.

When you put it out to the universe, the universe always answers. It just might not be the answer you expected. It's all good. There's a lot of room for love out there.
Pic of Kumar by Christine

No comments: