Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Farewell, My Hero


There was no phone call. An email from my brother Bob late last night, subject: Uncle Tony, said it all. I knew he was gone. I remembered the last conversation we had. We laughed about how we reached our respective ages. He thought my becoming a grandma was very cool, but he found it hard to believe. We spoke about family. He always kept in touch with my mom and worried about her.

When I was growing up Uncle Tony and Aunt Dorothea lived close to my parents. We spent a lot of time together. They were married for fifteen years before my cousin, Janice, was born. They were like a second set of parents to me. As I reached my teens and things would get tense on the home front, I always knew I had a safe port with the Cincottas'. We would go to shows with them, long Sunday drives or just hang out and laugh. When I got snowed in on the job and couldn't get home because the roads hadn't been plowed in Queens, Uncle Tony rescued me in his big Buick and took me back to Great Neck for a good meal and hot shower.

We used to joke about portions Uncle Tony would serve. Coming from a large family, our portions were moderate. Our best friends' had eleven children in their family. Their dad, Uncle Charlie, could cut a slice of cake you could read through. Uncle Tony would cut huge pieces of cake! It became a family tradition to ask, "Do you want an Uncle Charlie slice or an Uncle Tony slice?"

A few years ago Uncle Tony wrote his memoirs of his WWII experiences. He had been promoted to lieutenant in the field. I remember hearing many harrowing stories, but he always reminded us how horrific it was. He performed many heroic acts. He explained he just did what he had to do to survive. He was proud of his narrative and of his men. The local paper did a story about him and his war experiences. He said "Vickie, they treat me like a hero, now." I told him he always was and will be a hero to me.

Uncle Tony was the bravest man I've ever known. He taught me to drive. I know he's with his beloved Dorothea now. I was blessed a thousand times over to have them in my life. One day we will sit at the table together again, enjoying a slice of cake, good conversation and laughing 'til tears flow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear, the older i get the more i/we get to have this very experience.. gratitude is always a wonderful emotion to have when someone has gone to the other side.. lucky you, for experiencing that and for knowing that your lucky... ty for writing vickie. yo
ps: the word verification to post this is grail.. how's that for bizarre?

kathy said...

I'm so sorry, Vickie, tho I'm glad to know you did have "a port in the storm".