Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Roses and Rosary Beads


I Crave Your Mouth


I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.

Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.

Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day

I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.



I hunger for your sleek laugh,

your hands the color of a savage harvest,

hunger for the pale stones of your fingernails,

I want to eat your skin like a whole almond.



I want to eat the sunbeam flaring in your lovely body,

the sovereign nose of your arrogant face,

I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes,



and I pace around hungry, sniffing the twilight,

hunting for you, for your hot heart,

Like a puma in the barrens of Quitratue.



~Pablo Neruda








Your Laughter


Take breath away from me, if you wish,

take air away, but

do not take from me your laughter.



Do not take away the rose,

the lanceflower that you pluck,

the water that suddenly

bursts forth in your joy,

the sudden wave

of silver born in you.



My struggle is harsh and I come back

with eyes tired

at times from having seen

the unchanging earth,

but when your laughter enters

it rises to the sky seeking me

and it opens for me

all the doors of life.



My love, in the darkest

hour you laughter

opens, and if suddenly

you see my blood staining

the stones of the street,

laugh, because your laughter

will be for my hands

like a fresh sword.



Next to the sea in the autumn,

your laughter must raise

its foamy cascade

and in the spring, love,

I want your laughter like

the flower I was waiting for,

the blue flower, the rose

of my echoing country.




Laugh at the night,

at the day, at the moon,

laugh at the twisted

streets of the island,

laugh at this clumsy

boy who loves you,

but when I open

my eyes and close them,

when my steps go,

when my steps return,

deny me bread, air

light, spring,

but never your laughter

for I would die.




~Pablo Neruda











Ah, Pablo Neruda. His poetry, whether in Spanish, English or any other language, grabs hold of the soul. It may inflame passion~I Crave Your Mouth, or caress it with almost melancholy longing~Your Laughter. His words linger, reminding you both love and life are complicated, but so worthy of the travails.


Because I am who I am, I Crave Your Mouth brings my vampires to mind. They are a primal passionate bunch, but they love after their own fashion. The capacity to give and receive love is a gift and a double edged sword. Neruda and my vampires were quite prepared to fall upon that sword at times. The wound may or may not be lethal, but it is deep. So is love.


While searching for inspiration, I found that rosary beads acquired their name because their beads were made of rose petals in the past. I'm told that today there is still a convent that makes these fragrant treasures. Thank you ebay, I found a rosary of rose petal beads. It is quite lovely to my eyes and still has a rose fragrance. It may find its way into a chapter or two...it does seem to have a story to tell.


Last night, compliments of the fine hospitality of new friends, I spent an evening with old friends. We kind of lost touch, but recently our lives became entwined again through mutual acquaintances. That six degree thing again, so comforting to know the universe knits like Madame Defarge, usually without such dire results. We are all bound to one another, so cool :)
The company, the repast and those pink mojitos were wonderful. It seems any pink drink has a very giddy effect on me (some might say it is not the pink in the drink) and that is such a good thing. Things are still pretty wild in this neck of the woods and life is good.





Sagittarius Horoscopes
(Nov 22 - Dec 21)
Next Week
For the Week of Mar 2nd, 2009 -- You can enjoy conversation more than ever this weekend so seek the company of good talkers. Even if their tales aren't entirely true, you'll appreciate the entertainment value of outlandish ideas and philosophical ramblings. Sharing your own beliefs makes a mental connection that gets your mind off of the daily grind.



Hah! Ok, next weekend looks good too! lol

Lisa Vollrath is doing a lovely St. Patrick's Day Countdown. Check out her site for some shamrock green downloadable goodies. Thanks Lisa!

http://countdown.tentwostudios.com/


Your Laughter ~ Pablo Neruda inspired by Perceval Press
Your Mouth ~ Pablo Neruda inspired by Jonah Dawkins
Rose Petal Rosary, still obsessed with white flowers and Jonah, one of my fave vamps
Oaxaca weather 84' partly sunny
New York weather 14" snow predicted for manana...sigh...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The picture of the roses and rosary beads is so beautiful! Could you please mention where you found it. Do you know whether it is copyrighted and could be used for commerical use, (such as a book cover)? Thanks.