Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Nightmare on Main Street


You can't help hearing alarming news. The television just loves to tell us how awful things are, "tune in later for an update". The newspapers that aren't folding (no pun intended) sport the same glaring headlines with dire forecasts about bank failures, layoffs and foreclosures. You're online, you know the internet is rife with the same bad news. We all have friends and family who have been affected by this decimating spiral of events.


Then you come across something that doesn't just depress you. It doesn't just frustrate you.


It doesn't just make you angry.


It pushes the button that says 'ENOUGH!!'


In it's zeal to protect children from dangerous products, Congress passed a law which includes a provision to ban the sale of pre-1985 children's books. What this means is thrift shops, used book stores, even the people hosting garage sales, are forbidden to sell these and many other items, such as children's clothing, without a detailed research of all embellishment of each item.

That would be plastic, buttons, zippers and paint. These would have to be tested and then the item would be approved for sale or not. The cost of this procedure is prohibitive for small businesses, never mind the garage sale entrepreneur.

There is an excellent article by Walter Olsen at City Journal which details the bureaucracy attached to this law. Some are burning these books. You're subject to the law even if you give them away. I consider my books my friends. Some I have known since before I could read them and others have come into my life recently. There are many old books in my home. Scavenging library sales and thrift stores for treasures is a fave pastime. When I walk into a library I inhale the scent of books, old books. The feel of the book in my hand is a comfort. The touch of the paper between my fingers brings anticipation of a new adventure. As a child, my daughter was on a first name basis with our librarian, Eleanor. She was able to read Eleanor's name from the hieroglyphs on her pendant because she learned the symbols from an old book.To burn a book is breaking a sacred trust between friends. It's just wrong.



We are the government and as such we have a duty to speak out and protest when something is so blatantly wrong. Will this administration be attentive to the voice of the people? I say, let's give it a go.

You can contact your Congressman, I know I will. Let your Senators know how you feel, too.

Of course, it's not just this issue that gets my goat, but this one got the fire burning. Once a flower child, still protesting peacefully but vocally. Power to the people, folks!


This is a great song which kind of sums up how I feel at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSXL98Z-WAk&feature=related





Fearless ~ VNV Nation




So many little things followed me


So many little things that bothered me. But I found my answer.


From all the chaos that followed me I have found my answer.


I've told you before don't follow me because I am not your answer.


I am not alone, I am not afraid, I am not unhappy.


These are the words I say to myself everyday.


I am not alone, I am not afraid, I am not unhappy.




Tell me what ritual I should have today.


But I'm not alone. I've resolved so many things and set myself free.


I am not alone, I am not afraid, I am not unhappy.


The words I say to myself every day.
I am not alone, I am not afraid, I am not unhappy.




Such a stupid ritual to have to say to myself everyday.


I'm not alone but I found my answer and set myself free. I'm not unhappy.


I'm not alone and I'm not unhappy.


Not alone and I'm not unhappy.
I'm not afraid and I'm not unhappy.


I'm not afraid. I'm not afraid.


I am not alone. I am not afraid. I am not unhappy.


These are the words I say to myself everyday.


I am not alone. I am not afraid. I am not unhappy.


I'm not afraid



Fearless~vnv Nation
Speak Softly altered art from Outsider Art
Book Banning~City Journal

No comments: