Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 17, 2009

So, I've Been A Little Cranky


General Weekly Love Horoscope Influences
There's a tendency to turn a small matter into a major deal this weekend. Whether it's a little comment that stirs a negative reaction or a moment of sweetness that spurs dreams of lifelong romance, try not to lose your sense of proportion. Keep your feet on the ground to avoid losing your head now.


My feet are on the ground. My head is in the clouds. Lots of stuff happening on the home front, but it's time for that one-day-at-a-time mantra. When I'm feeling relatively helpless I get a bit testy. Sequestering myself away from the general public is to our mutual benefit. I actually got a chunk of writing done. Vampires adore morose attitudes. Then, it was time for a change of pace.


A couple of weeks ago a few of my patients decided to give me a mini-course in Yiddish. Living in New York City my entire life has given me much exposure to this rich expressive language. Many expressions I take for granted are Yiddish. For example nudnick, mensch, schlemiel, punim, yenta, bubele and oy are sprinkled in my conversational English. There's not as much Yiddish spoken here these days. Times change. It was fun to hear it and try to pronounce the words without massacring them.


I happened to comment about this on Twitter and one of my sweet tweets recommended Born to Kvetch by Michael Wex. I decided to get the audio too for obvious reasons. It's a wonderful history of the Yiddish language. What a refreshing change of pace. I listened to a couple of the CDs while Spring cleaning and not only learned a thing or two but had a good chuckle or three.


Let's face it. Most of us are born to kvetch.
Such a punim! Oy bubele :)

No comments: