Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Heart Care


Smell of alcohol on his breath. My first patient said his memory wasn't too good. I recognize that scent...lived with an alcoholic for a while. It was a matter of personal safety...alcohol=danger, no alcohol=50/50. I can usually identify the type of alcohol imbibed...this morning, I'd say vodka. Not too much, just enough to take the edge off. The edge of pain, of fear, of anger, of grief or memories...it's an individual edge. This man was having his heart tested today. That's what I do, I care for hearts.

Strange how we earn our bread and butter. I've been in the heart care business for about twenty years. Sometimes, though, I forget how to care for my own. Lately, I think I've been doing a much better job. Care and maintenance of your heart can be a tricky thing if you don't listen to it. You need to be very quiet. Music can take you to the right place. Your brain may try to butt in...don't let it...at least, not now. Things you hear on the cardiac network might contradict so called common sense. That's okay. Let the song of your heart echo through your entire being. It will tell you the truth. Not what is right or wrong, good, bad or ugly. It will sing you the truth. Your choice is to make it a duet or let it float along into the universe solo.

Keeping your heart open is another important part of caring for your ticker. Clinically, this means one thing. I'm talking open heart policy. This can leave you susceptible to heartache and even heartbreak. It's worth the risk. The effect of closing your heart is worse than any pain you may endure. Closing the heart leads to a loss of feeling and hardening of the emotions. Ouch! An open heart leads to a joyful life. Warm and fuzzy feelings have also been reported.

Next, sharing your heart. This sounds a little messy. It can be, but in a good way. The more you share, the more heart there is to go around. This is an unexplained and wondrous phenomena. It takes getting used to, especially if you have been guarding your heart for a while. People tend to guard their heart after it's been broken or crushed...very understandable. The idea of letting the drawbridge to castleheart down is scary. It took a long time to dig that moat and stock it with fear-eating catfish. Take it easy. Lower it a notch at at time. Good things are on the way. No knights on chargers or damsels in distress on the horizon. That's another tale. See, things out there have potential.

Taking my own advice is not always easy for me. This time, I found it much simpler than in the past. Must be some of that older=wiser stuff going on. Whatever it is, I am grateful for the chance to fluff up my heart and let it sing to me. It is a beautiful vibrant song.



heart shrine~love fell into itself

2 comments:

thejaneinspain said...

You Must Ask the Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x613dWIl8Do&feature=related

Vickie said...

thanks Jane...sometimes it takes a while to get the message...love you