Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 29, 2009

There's A Turkey In My Freezer


When I left work Wednesday evening I received a frozen twelve pound turkey, courtesy of one of the doctors in our office. I didn't realize I would be the recipient of said fowl, so I was slightly taken aback for the moment. What was I going to do with this bird? My oven has been out of commission since March and I don't see a new stove in my crystal ball. Yes, I have one. Thanksgiving dinner was being prepared by my brother and sister-in-law. My contribution was the wine. I plopped the gobbler in the backseat. As I drove home it occurred to me many people close to me are out of work or have been this year. I knew who tom turkey was going to feed. My blessings are many and though I constantly whine about my job, I am happy to have it. Never in my memory have so many people I know been unemployed for long periods of time. Everyone has scaled down almost everything they do. This is the holiday season. It is a double edged sword, opening wounds old and new. It is a festive time, whatever holiday you celebrate. This year people are more subdued. There is a serious undercurrent holding us back. The unsettled feeling that we haven't bottom out quite yet. Life does go on and we hang on for the ride. Sometimes, when there are less frills, you begin to see other things in a different light. It becomes clear what really is valuable. Your family, friends and health are the things to treasure. We all have each of those to a greater or lesser degree. This year will be odd for me. More changes. At first, I resisted, but now I realize it really is futile. I'm going with the flow...again. New things are on the horizon. It's looking brighter at the end of that crazy tunnel. So off I go, turkey in tow, heading for more change and actually, nervously, looking forward to it.


pic~natalie & ian thanksgiving 2009...sooo cute!

No comments: