Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Venus Retrograde...And In Libra, No Less!


"There she is. Come on over and give me a kiss."

John is waving in my direction from the reception desk. His Irish brogue carries across the crowded waiting room. I've listened to that brogue for over twelve years now.

"I'll be with you momentarily, John. I'm taking care of another patient, but I'll be back soon."

We cared for his late wife, too. He is living proof to me that there truly can be a broken heart.

After she died he was hospitalized many times for chest pain and blockages to his coronary arteries. We would see him every two to three months for a while there. Lately he's been spending more time with his family in Ireland. His daughters believe it does him a world of good. John disputes that belief.

"I might as well be in China for all the good it does me. Worry follows me. It's how I am."

I feel a special bond with John that's hard to explain. Maybe there's a certain chemistry.

Some patients stay with you. I remember some from over thirty years ago. Yikes!


A little while later, I hear Sandra call a familiar name. It's Julie's dad. He's having his test in Mario's room today. His wife told me it's hard for them to see me since Julie died. I understand, but it's sad. Later, while I'm talking to John about family things, Julie's dad walks by. He extends his hand and gives mine a gentle squeeze. Our eyes meet. We smile. He walks out the exit door without looking back.


I give John a hug and a kiss. He hands me a black plastic bag.

"Here, I picked this up for you. I knew I'd be seeing you, what with the chest pain at the airport. Handmade chocolates...for you."

Another hug and I'm back to work. I can't shake the feeling that the universe is telling me something. It's said when Venus goes retrograde in Libra we will learn lessons about past relationships that affect our present ones. It's so busy I have no time to ponder this mystery.


When I return home there are messages and phone calls. Before I know it, it's almost 11PM. Where did the day go? Then the lesson starts to sink in. Treasure your friends and loved ones now, for time does fly. My dear patients have lost their beloved wife and child and that loss changed them forever. Still, they live and they love. Lucky for me, for I hold them dear to my heart.


pic~natalie & the walrus :)

No comments: