Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dust In The Wind Or I'm In One of Those Moods Again


Some days you wake up with someone on your mind. I did today. It took me by surprise because I hadn't traveled that memory lane for a while. Then it came to me. Today is Harry's birthday. He's been gone a long time. The only family he had left, his two maiden aunts, laid him to rest up in Nova Scotia, near his mom. So long ago, but sometimes a moment flashes into your mind and it's as though it was yesterday. I shook it off and headed for the coffee pot. Sundays usually give me some time to relax in the morning, read the paper, go online and not think about too much. A little while later I was perusing Facebook and there was a link to 'Misty Roses' by Tim Hardin. That song was playing when I met Harry, New Year's Eve, 1969. We got into a discussion about Tim Hardin and his music.


Then, there is this beautiful poem, 'Eastern Tones' by Will Crawford, a moving tribute to Tim Hardin and his music.



Okay, I guess I can't ignore Harry today, though Lord knows I tried. He was like that. He said it was his Norwegian tenacity. I had other names for it. After we went our separate ways, we would bump into one another on occasion. I guess we still do, so why fight it? That's my point.

A dear friend of mine told me I've been spending too much time in the past lately. In a way, that is true. I've been letting go of things that have become too heavy to carry, finally realizing I've been rolling so many boulders up that hill. It wears you down. I can just walk away. Now, old habits are hard to break, but it feels so good to set myself free, one boulder at a time.

The past and the present are woven together. There is no way to completely separate them. I wouldn't want to do that. There are days when memories just float by and there are days when they kind of hit you upside your head. Some theories say time does not proceed in a straight line, that it is more fluid. It ebbs and flows. I vote for fluid. Sometimes it's like riding whitewater rapids. You hold on for dear life, exhilarated, while everything on the shoreline appears as a long blur. Other times, that river slows almost to a standstill and everything around you is crystal clear.

The last stage of my hair project brought me back to Salon Plus. The building has stucco walls, arched windows and has been there for about thirty years. You get the distinct feeling of being in another time and place when you walk through that portal. As I waited, I chatted with Maria. "It's hard to believe I've been with Tina twenty-seven years." Twenty-seven years? Have I been going here for hair magic for twenty-seven years? Yep. The oldies music played on in the background. I sat back, shook my head and smiled. Cool. Life, live it, love it.

This brings me to 'Dust In The Wind' by Kansas and this lovely video, filmed in 1977. I guess we are, so enjoy the ride.




random photo, but they are so cute!
thanks to marlene & hank for the links ;)
special thanks to will crawford
and, happy birthday, harry...hope you're playing tim hardin wherever you may be...


1 comment:

Hank Beukema said...

Wonderful, Vickie. I enjoyed this. Thanx